October 17, 2023 - October 24, 2023
Virtual – The Zoom link invitation will be emailed to you one business day prior to the event.
About the Training:
Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy (TFCBT) is an evidence-based psychotherapeutic intervention designed to help children, youth, and their parents overcome the negative effects of traumatic life events. It was developed by integrating cognitive and behavioral interventions with traditional child abuse therapies that focus on enhancement of interpersonal trust and empowerment. The program can be provided to children 3 to 18 years of age and their caregivers by trained mental health professionals in individual, family, and group outpatient sessions. It targets symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which often co-occurs with depression and behavior problems. The intervention also addresses issues commonly experienced by traumatized children, such as poor self-esteem, difficulty trusting others, mod instability, and self-injurious behavior, including substance abuse.
Per the TFCBT Protocol – you will need to complete the 10 Hour TFCBT Web Course (https://tfcbt2.musc.edu) PRIOR to this initial training to successfully complete the full protocol and bill to PEI for therapeutic services. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org the Web Certificate prior to the training. Developers have instituted a $35 fee to take this online training. As an aside, you do get CEs for this newly developed web-based training and get 8 CEs included in the price.
Ashley Labistour, LMFT is a national trainer for Trauma-Focused CBT. She formerly served as a treatment coordinator specializing in child sexual abuse at Children’s Institute, Inc. in Los Angeles for 11 years. She currently provides TF-CBT training and consultation for various agencies in Southern and Northern California.
Post training, participants will be able to:
1. Identify and apply appropriate assessment tools and engagement strategies for families referred to the TF-CBT treatment modality.
2. Explain the difference between complex trauma and isolated trauma, and provide at least two examples of the differences in the TF-CBT treatment protocol depending on the type of presenting trauma.
3. Apply TF-CBT in a gradual exposure manner.
4. Identify age appropriate and creative applications of the PRACTICE components.
5. Give 3 examples of how children’s bodies respond when under stress or triggered by trauma reminders.
6. Describe at least 2 specific coping strategies for helping children and teens reduce anxiety and stress.
7. Demonstrate an ability to elicit client feelings, both general and specific to trauma.
8. Explain at least 2 techniques to rate different emotional intensities.
9. Distinguish and make connections between thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
10. Challenge dysfunctional thought patterns in clients and identify at least 3 techniques for cognitive restructuring.
11. Explain the rationale for the trauma narrative process and engage a client in this process.
12. Discuss cultural considerations for the model and identify at least 2 ways that religious and cultural issues may impact a client in TF-CBT.
The Full TFCBT Cohort fee is $1,300.00. The fee includes the initial training, conference calls, up to 2 audio reviews, a 6 mos Booster, and APA CE credits for both trainings.
The Initial TFCBT Training fee is $325.00 per person. The fee includes initial training only and APA CE credits. It is NOT the full protocol and only the Initial Training (which is Oct. 17, Oct. 18 and Oct. 24).
You must attend all three days in order to have successfully completed the initial training. Your attendance will be tracked.
Handouts will be emailed to you prior to the training.
The Zoom link invitation will be emailed to you one business day prior to the event.
$1,300.00 per participant for the full training protocol breakdown:
Initial 2-Day workshop = $225
6th Month 1-Day Booster = $175
14 Group consultation calls (assumes a minimum of 12 attended) = $550
2 Audio Reviews = $350
APA CE fees for both trainings
Continuing Education Credits – up to 12 credits available
Children’s Institute, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Children’s Institute, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
This training has limited space and is a highly sought after training so it’s important to cancel if unable to attend to allow space for the Waitlist participants. By registering for this training the agency is liable for the registration fee, which is refundable up to October 9, 2023 @ 9am minus the ~6% Eventbrite charge. Registration is transferrable prior to the start of the training. Once the training begins, fees are non-refundable/transferrable and no partial refunds will be given.
Questions? Email – AHapuarachy@childrensinstitute.org
For the Complaint/Grievance Procedure information, please go to: https://www.childrensinstitute.org/professional-resources/